Tuesday 14 August 2012

Necropolis - Part 1

In order to make the scenery on the wargaming table more relevant to the 40K games that we have recently started playing I am going to make a series of themed tabletops. The first I decided upon is a Necron themed table. 

The background to the Necrons 'or fluff' is that of an ancient race awakening after millennia of sleep to take ownership of the universe.  Some of the worlds on which the Necrons went into stasis perfectly preserved the forces, others failed and over time the forces crumbled to dust. I hope therefore to indicate the passage of a long time and design structures reflecting this.


I have also set limitations on myself when making the structures. I am fortunate, when at work, to have access to a workshop and all the machine tools that go with it. I have gone back to basics with this project as I intend to make a series of tutorials showing the complete making process for several buildings. I only wanted to use materials that most people can get easy access to, so it is blade and glass-paper (aka sand paper) instead of band-saws and standing disks.

So out came the left over blue foam from previous projects and I launched into my first prototype Necron structure 



I 'dry fitted' all the pieces ad I made them to ensure that the component parts fitting together. The MDF base is a piece of 4mm that I had lying around and is A3ish in size. 



Alternate views showing front and back.



The steps at the front are out of scale for real steps as they would be hip high. The door look more ascetically pleasing though and help in game play as a figure cant stand on the step rather than balance on a slope of steps.



Each individual piece was then 'sanded' to remove the worst but not all of the imperfections and then fixed in place using 'no more nails'. It is possible to used wood glue but the drying times are considerable as the foam does not absorb any moisture. Other water based glues can be used that do not melt styrene.


Ready for the next step of filling the holes and joints before the application of paint. The top pieces look crocked on the left hand upright in the picture but this is not the case in real life.

Hope you find this series useful and if you have any recommendations for Necron structures do not be shy!!!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting piece of terrain Ade. Looking forward to seeing its progress.

    Regards,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most ambitious piece yet-looks great, I'm sure it will look fantastic when you have painted it. Hope you are enjoying your hols too!

    ReplyDelete