Saturday, 23 February 2013

Painting Diary 2013 - 5

 I have painted a unit of three dragons ogres this week for an up coming tutorial for the 'wargamingforfun' website and You Tube channel.

I really enjoyed putting these together and painting them.

Seem to be a fair alternative to the Juggernauts in the Warriors of Chaos Army book as they are special choice rather than rare.

At initiative 2 I thought that I would build them with great weapons as they will usually go last in the combat anyway and strength 7 is not to be sniffed at.

Totally different from the Dragon Ogres is the unit of gaunts from the Tyranid faction of Warhammer 40K

This is the first time that I have used the Armageddon Dust texture finish on the base. Quite effective and a lot quicker than my glue sand paint and highlight method but I feel more work would be needed on larger bases. A good alternative though and I will be trying the other textured paints in the range.

Not a colour I would have picked to line the carapace of the gaunts but pink does work a lot better than I expected. I have yet to decide if I will tone down the lining with a wash.
Painted models so far in 2013 = 54

Sunday, 17 February 2013

Painting Diary 2013 - 4

In the past two weeks I have completed the construction/reconditioning of some Tomb King figures. I swapped some Lizard Men with Andy for some these Tomb Kings and I wanted to paint them to match the other figures in my army.

The scorpions were still in the original packaging are are made from metal. Say what you like about finecast it is a lot easier to glue together than metal. That said you do feel that you have your monies worth when picking up metal figures.

The paint scheme is quiet simple. A priming coat of Bone from the Army Painter's range with detail picked out using regular miniature paints. When fully dry I used the 'Dark' quickshade again from Army Painter. I fixed the sand used on the base using sand. (No point painting sand to look like sand!)

Three chariots using the same technique. It is important to let the quickshade fully dry before the base is applied as it will never come off the varnish if applied when sticky.

Finally I used a spare Tomb King/Prince from the Warsphinx kit to give me the option of a mounted hero.

I found it a lot easier to paint the figures then gluing the men on the back of the chariot rather than painting them in place. Once the quickshade was fully dry I applied the anti shine spray to remove the gloss finish of the varnish. This does of the effect of making the metallics look dull but these can always been coated in a gloss varnish if required.

Painted models so far in 2013 = 36.

Thursday, 14 February 2013

Terrain Challenge - Spring 2013 - CD Based Terrain


Make a piece of terrain for a wargaming table based on a CD.


  • Help educate and inform 
  • Raise all our skill levels 
  • Get us making that project we keep putting off 
  • Help us all make new contacts 
  • Enjoy a different aspect of our hobby 


Enter as many times as you like in the following ways

  • A video response to this on YouTube
  • A blog article with photos and text
  • An email to at

Deadline for all entries is Sunday 24th March 2013.

All entries will be listed on and voted on in the week 24th – 31st March.

Winner announced 1st April 2013.