The first was to paint the whole board with and 'undercoat' of paint so that the blue of the foam and the brown of the MDF is tied in. This colour does show through the sand in places so I felt the need to get a uniform colour. I used a simple poster paint that was reddish brown in colour as I felt that I was the closest to sandstone that I had.
Once dry I then went on to cover the flat areas of the terrain, and some sections of the slopes, with PVA or white glue as it is sometimes referred to. Sand is poured onto this wet glue and allowed to set. I left it overnight to ensure the glue had set properly. Excess sand is then removed and the step repeated if needed.This post is mainly here to give an example of the finished product.
This photo shows the stage of applying sand to the wet glue before any excess sand is removed.
Finally a couple of photos of the modular gaming table in one of its possible configurations. The floating scenery was made from off cuts of the blue foam used for the fixed hills (Remember never throw anything away! ;)
We played our first battle on it yesterday and it worked a treat. The battle will be uploaded to Youtube soon on our 'wargamingforfun' channel if you want to see it in action.